View Single Post
      01-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techworks View Post
I'm trying to choose between the 50i and M50i. I like the aesthetics of the M50i and a little extra HP would be fun on occasion. However, I spend ~2 hours per day on the highway, so I'd like to understand the difference in noise at cruising speeds. I know I would enjoy the power and noise on short bursts, but on my daily commute, I'm looking for the quietest and most comfortable option.

1. Is M Sport Exhaust on the M50i always loud? Does it have a baffle or moving parts that are automatically tuned to quiet when in Comfort?
2. I saw one review of the M50i that said exhaust sounds are piped in through the speakers. I know BMW has done this before on other vehicles, so I assume it's true here. Is this a good assumption? Does the amount of noise amplified by the speakers differ between Comfort, Sport, ans Sport+ modes?
3. If the M50i has exhaust sounds through the speakers, does the standard 50i also have them?
4. Aside from the M Sport Exhaust, are there other mechanical differences between the M50i and 50i? Is the suspension of the M50i as comfortable as the 50i when in Comfort mode?
If my memory serves me, there was a thread a while back discussing a configuration option in the car to "tone down" the exhaust on the M50. I don't have mine yet, so can't confirm. Perhaps another M50 owner can comment.
Appreciate 0