01-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #52
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Yes. I haven't looked at the terms you have to agree to when you sign on to having your insurance company monitor your driving habits as I will never do so. But I wouldn't be surprised there is a clause that all captured data becomes the property of the insurance company.

GDPR puts in gates which makes the entity collecting your data to provide clear guidance as to what is being collected and how it's going to be used. Anything outside of that requires your expressed permission. You control how your data is being collected and used. Look at Facebook. Many people are not aware that anything you load up into Facebook is their property now for them to do as they wish. People thinking Facebook is generous in providing the services they do to for free is naive. They're doing it so they can collect data on you and sell it of to do other types of modeling to use for other sales opportunities. And to close the off topic slant of this, I wonder how many people complaining about the insurance companies using these monitoring tools for rate discounts have other spying devices in their homes such as any Nest, Alexa, Siri, etc product.
None of that is new. And it's not accurate.
It's not the apps asking you for permission. Otherwise, instead of popping up a message that says "Can I use your camera", they'd say "do you want to win $1M?" Yes or No?
Apps need to ask the OS for access to the camera. It's the OS (Apple or Google) popping that message to you for your permission. So, yes, all legit apps need to ask for your permission. That says nothing about what they do with your data once you granted permission.
AFAIK, GDPR only sets a legal basis for you to sue them if you find out that they are not complying with the rules. GDPR doesn't prevent anything.

Last edited by MPBK; 01-22-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0