View Single Post
      02-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #13
Techworks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Brilliant white m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefflikescars View Post
Someone just posted a new car and driver article. They got an M50i for a long term test. They mentioned that at highway speeds it’s only 66 decibels, which ties the s-class. Pretty good!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...y-maintenance/
Agree, 66 decibels is very good. However, in C&D’s earlier review of the 40i and 50i, they measured 64 dB.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28006624/bmw-x7-quiet-interior-test/

I think they are at a range though where tire size and tread design as well as road surface are factors. C&D put blizzak snow tires on their long term M50i, but their article isn't clear if those were on during the sound test. If they were, 66 dB is incredible. I have blizzaks on another vehicle and they are extremely noisy compared to most all season tires.

I was finally able to test drive the 40i, 50i, and M50i. I couldn't discern much difference in noise between any of them at highway speeds. The 50i and M50i seemed noiser to me accelerating around town and from 0 - 45 MPH. I bought a noise meter, but it was lower end and I found it wasn't repeatable enough in my testing.

I ended up choosing the 40i for 3 primary reasons:
-the extra range is simply more convenient for me.
-my perception was the 40i is slightly quieter around town, and certainly at startup. Again, the difference at highway speeds is pretty hard to differentiate.
-I prefer the ride of non-runflats, and the 21" w/non-runflats flats are factory options on the 40i and 50i, but not the M50i

There will be days I'll wish I had the extra noise and power, just for the occasional grin. But for my daily commute and hauling the kids, I was trying to minimize noise and maximize comfort. I'll have to get a play car to more driving excitement on the weekends.
Appreciate 0