View Single Post
      06-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #60
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It's a tough environment if you do not have an economy of scale where you have very large sales volume and can component and R&D share across it. If you want to stay an independent brand you need to expand into all segments and even create new which requires a multitude of models to capture and meet as many preferences as possible. You can do that by aggressive organic growth like BMW is now doing or you can buy other brands as VW has been doing. I would have prefered to just have the 3, 5 and 7 including the Ms were these cars are meticously honed for ultimate driving machine perfection but I think this would have lead to BMW becoming a takeover.

Look what has happened to Volvo, SAAB, Jaguar, Land Rover, Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Porsche, Lambourghini, Ferrari, Chrysler etc.
@solstice: Thank you for elaborately pointing out the economical background! You must be tired of doing this meanwhile, aren't you?
And by the way - can someone of the admins please ban any post containing this nonsense buzzword "DILUTE" from now on? I can't stand this constant ranting by average joe, which ignores economical realities, using this diuting phrase anymore
Appreciate 0