View Single Post
      08-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E34 View Post
I am having a problem answering this question of square vs staggered setup for a 328i. Here are a few quotes I took from some reviews.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...i_sedan_page_3

"In our track testing, finding the limits was a far more natural process, aided by a touch more body roll and a “square” tire setup (225/45-18 Goodyears all around, versus the C250’s staggered 225/255 fitment). Less tread width out back allowed for working the BMW’s tail a bit more, drawing you further into the driving experience without compromising grip or unduly impairing stability, as attested by slalom and skidpad times nearly identical to those of the Mercedes. But the wheel/tire package doesn’t look as cool."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/02/05/bm...mw-335i-sport/

"Surprisingly, the 19-inch run flats felt very grippy and even with DCT off and a happy right foot. The BMW Style 401 wheels with 19 inch 225/40 R19, 19×8.5, 255/35 R19 optional tire setup for an additional $900 are worth the extra cost on the Sport Line. They will help to visually set the 335i Sport Line apart from the base 328i Sport Line and seem to hold the tarmac with a death grip compared to the non-staggered 18 inch standard wheel setup which had a tendency to relinquish it’s hold of the road well before the 19’s."

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697351

square vs staggered discussion link from E90 forum.

Staggered wheels will promote more understeer and I prefer a neutral handling car to more aggressive looking, so I am leaning to a square setup. What further frustrates me is that if you choose a square setup with the M Sport package apparently you are forced to take all season tires? I don't understand why because I can get performance tires with same size wheels, square setup on the Sport Line.
The understeer that staggered tires get a rap for is greatly exaggerated imo.
That is something that may come in to play at the track. For daily driving I didn't notice anything like under steer in any of the 3 I drove.
The last 3 I tested was a 335i sport with the 19's. The only actual difference I found for day to day driving is that you can feel cracks and bumps in the road more so with the 19's due to their shorter sidewall.

The bigger consideration is the type of tire your 3 will get.
Nearly all sport lines with 18" square setup get Goodyear touring tires.
Touring tires are designed for better comfort, lower noise.
Performance tires are designed for better grip, and thus wear quicker.

I would have gone with the all seasons in my Msport except for the fact that I know the all season's BMW would put on it would be lack luster.
So, I went with the standard 18" staggered summer performance tires.
When I get my car in a couple weeks, then I'll know if BMW actually puts on real summer performance tires on the Msport, instead of the summer touring tires that are on most sport lines.

For me though it won't matter too much as I will be getting a set of ultra high performance all seasons in the staggered 18" size, to fit the Msport wheels. That's what I have on my 135i and I love the setup.
I'm running Conti DWS on the 135i.
For my Msport I will get either the Conti's or the new Bridgestone RE970
UHP all seasons. The Bridgestones have been tested by Tirerack to have better turn in response and quicker transitional handling compared to the Conti's. But, the Conti's are rated better in wet and snow.
Tough call. I'm leaning towards the Conti's for the better wet and snow performance.
They've worked great in my 135i for the past 3yrs with great rides and quiet too, compared to the summer performance RFT's that came stock.
The AS feel just as good in summer performance and still get me through the winter, all the while with a better ride.

I'll now more once I get my Msport with the summer perf RFT's.
Appreciate 0