11-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #24
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I don't agree with this 100%. I happen to like the way it looks inside and out. I also think it sounds amazing for a stock car, closer to an American muscle car than something Lexus would make.

I walked away from the test drive thinking I like the car, but I don't LOVE it for $78k used. And this was before COVID prices, I don't know what they're doing now. For that much money, I would want more fun and performance personally, but I don't think I'm missing the point. Now maybe if they somehow tank to $40k, I'd be more onboard.

I still think for much less money, the S65 is a visceral engine. Yes, I know the cars are apples and oranges, but I didn't get back in my E92 M3 missing anything but the interior quality and design.

Not trying to knock on the car, I'm very glad Lexus made it!
Yeah I mean at that point it's very much subjective. Although to be fair, an E92 M3 still represents what made cars cool and still does have a visceral feel to it.

I also have no issue with wanting more performance. My issue however (and I feel like I've said this a million times at this point), is when achieving that performance comes at the EXPENSE of fun. If you can have performance while maintaining the fun, that's the ideal situation. However more and more we're starting to see cars become more clinical. It's about hitting performance numbers as opposed to how the car makes you feel.

An example of this is the Model S Plaid. The performance is absolutely insane. But it feels so incredibly clinical and anticlimactic. Once you're beyond the initial shock of the performance, it all sort of gets to be sterile and unexciting.

That's an extreme example, but take for example an M8. The performance is incredible, but I remember reading a Motortrend article where they said something along the lines of, "how can something that performs so well feel so stale". By no means am I saying an LC500 is a better car than the M8. I'd get an M8 over an LC500 9 times out of 10. But it represents the direction we're headed.

The Lexus represents what used to make cars cool. It doesn't feel clinical or sterile. It's not trying to be a track monster. Would it have been nice to have more performance? of course. But I sure as hell wish newer BMWs had a whole lot more engagement.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 3
Humdizzle6123.00
nerdogray1340.50
W///7526.00