12-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
Shadowdemon1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition, X2 20d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
Thread here: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1673543

You can set DSC to be ON, MDM, or OFF. MDM is a reduced version of DSC that does't include any sort of steering correction (according to the iDrive settings). Off, is completely off.

The there are two Xdrive modes - 4WD and 4WD Sport - where Sport is more RWD oriented.

If you choose DSC ON, you are locked to 4WD. If you choose MDM you are locked to 4WD Sport, and if you choose DSC off then you can opt for either 4WD or 4WD Sport.

For me, given the size and weight of the car, I'd not be comfortable with DSC off or MDM unless I was on a track (which isn't going to happen) so I'll be staying with DSC ON and therefore 4WD. Patricularly given the two crash incidents posted on this forum - 510hp is a lot of power to send to mostly the rear wheels of an SUV.

The M buttons are just toggles. The car starts in default settings every time - Efficient, Comfort, Comfort. Pressing an M button enables your settings (as setup in idrive) and pressing it again reverts to the default car settings again. So a double tap of that button is essentially doing nothing - enable then disable. The upshot is you effectively have three settings - Default, M1, and M2. I haven't checked, but I suspect that they M buttons actually toggle between your M setting and whatever the car was in prior - so if you moved away from defaults, it'll revert to whatever that was when you press the button again. Restarting the car always reverts to defaults.

Cheers for that very comprehensive.

I thought i saw on a video somewhere that double tapping M turns MDM on - must have been mistaken
Appreciate 0