06-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #80
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have two former work colleagues who own Teslas. Both engineers, one a licensed GA pilot and the other a genius integrated systems engineer. One bought a Model 3 for the Tech and the other bought (his wife) a Model X because he's a car guy in many ways and wanted to experience the EV experience. The last time I was in the Model 3 and had the auto-driving demonstrated was probably 2 gens back now (2019). I was not at all impressed and wouldn't trust the system to save my life. The fetch mode was also demonstrated, and it failed miserably. All neat stuff, but the fetch mode took 5 times as long as for us to just walk over to the car and it failed anyway. There are too many conditions that need to be optimal for these systems to work correctly and safely. When the conditions degrade is when it matters, which is true for human drivers as well.

I love new tech too, but just when it makes sense. I do not think autonomous driving is going to drastically reduce road deaths, and not any less than if we just forced better driving behavior out of our citizens. Making better human drivers is trillions cheaper than trying to implement a change over to a computerized autonomous driving environment. My POV is not from an enthusiast position but rather realistic one; I just don't think autonomous driving will lower road deaths and the cost to try would be better spent elsewhere.
But that's the thing though.

This is the only way to implement any new technology, is to engineer it, test it and then test it again in the real world. That is why there are so many revisions done to the FSD beta. I believe next month it will be beta V11 or version 11. I forget. I don't option in FSD in my model 3 but i heard i can add or update the software later? That i am not even sure i have to find out. I'm not interested in that right now, at least not for this car as i do plan on getting a plaid (probably the model x plaid) in the next 2-3 years to replace my model 3 as a DD.

I am not saying today, FSD is the way to go and it replaces actual drivers. Nobody would admit that or even dare to admit that because it doesn't make sense.

But the advancements in this technology from when tesla first rolled out their model s to now?? I think they came A VERY LONG WAY.

Like i said in an earlier post. Ford laughed at tesla before tesla dropped their first car on the market. And now ford is playing catch up. GM has supercruise which is mainly pointed towards highway driving.

With city driving, nothing right now comes close to tesla's FSD. Other car makers can mimic what it can do but right now, with all the revisions and updates tesla has been making to their FSD, they are still the leader in this technology. And like i said it is only going to get better, not worse. I predict 2025 is when tesla has released FSD updates for heavy city driving with basically zero errors.
Appreciate 1
chris7197353.00