View Single Post
      01-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Very interesting. The CR article seems to push for the adoption of an average female test dummy, but an industry representative states that the weight of a 2019 average female is actually quite close to the 50th percentile male from the 1970's that the dummy was modeled after (~160 vs 170 lbs, respectively). Also, data shows that the increased risk of injury for females is highest in the arms and legs, which seems to agree with F32Fleet that women sit closer to the steering wheel and pedals, which can increase the chance of injury in frontal crashes.

The article also highlights several times that females are not just smaller versions of males, their structure and "material properties" are different. The article tries to spin this as a reason for needing new tests and dummies that better represent female bodies. If female bodies have weaker "material properties", I'm not sure that anything can really be done to reduce the discrepancy between male and female injuries. As an extreme analogy, if you design a structure that will prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from 5ft, a billiards ball will also survive the same drop. It's not because the test or structure was biased towards the billiards ball, it's just that the material properties are different.