View Single Post
      09-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
I want the next Z...Or should I? (Buying Journal)

Hi, I new to the ZPost (I hang around the M3Post most of the time), so if this is a repost, sorry.

Okay, so here's the deal. In 2005, I got a Z4 3.0i. I like the way it drives, and there's no aspect of that car that I do not like. With 3 other cars in my garage, the Z is dedicated for recreation only - you know, weekend road slicing and stuff.

9 months ago, I decided to move on and make room make room in my garage for my comming E92 M3. I sold my Z - big mistake. Since my Z left me, it grew on me. It is by no means the fastest or the hottest car I own or has ever driven. But somehow I miss it - a lot. Perhaps it is the long hood or perhaps it is the non-existence of the "+2" dog seats, my E93 vert just don't cut it.

Last night, I've decided that I must add a roadster to my fleet, and with my previous great relationship with the Z, its 2010 replacement is one of the top candidates. Thus, I'm posting this thread for you to help me choose. Should I go for it or should I get something else?

Here's is what I need:
  1. A two seater with the "correct" traditional roadster proportions (you know, the long bonnet and short over hangs).
  2. Needless to say that it must be a convertible (soft/hard top I don't care).
  3. I don't have to buy now, I can wait as long as it is worth it (the Z definately is).
  4. Looks isn't everything, I am in it for a good driving experience. No, I don't need massive power. Don't get me wrong, power is a good thing, but I'll take a well sorted chassie over that any day.
  5. I'm no millionare, something like the Merc SL, baby lambo, or the Aston V8, is probably out of my league. The Current Z4M or boxter S money fits my budget way better. I'm willing to go a bit beyond, but the extra spendings must be justified.

Does the comming Z fit my bill? Is there something else that I sould consider? I'm now only in the process of research, so links are welcomed! Keep in mind that I do have other cars. You can look at my signature for a list of cars that I am driving or have driven.

I'm also going to keep a journal regarding this decision until I take delivery. I'll try and update daily and keep you posted on what I saw, read, and tested. Before I make any decision (color, options, etc...) I'll run it by you guys. Throw in a few more choices and I will set up a poll for my final decision. The people on this thread WILL decide what car I get! Here is a thank you in advance for all your help.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC

Last edited by synclastica_86; 09-06-2008 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0