02-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #45
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i get similar reactions with the smart... people love to laugh and poke fun, and most of it is in good humor.
i've actually made friends at my gym from people approaching me about driving the smart and asking about "how i fit" (i'm 6'03" / 230lbs). people are mostly curious about it because its so oddly small- then the find out its electric and it launches a whole next level of curiosity.

the people that have had the most negative reactions are typically 17-22 year old males working in service jobs like a fast food drive through. i feel like that demographic typically has a narrow perspective and very short-time perspective that doesn't let them see past the car and the greater purpose it serves. i mean, my other car isn't a ferrari, but its not a slug, either.

another thing- people seem flabbergasted when i mention the [relatively] short 65 mile range of the smart. "what do you do if you need to drive farther than that?!" uuhh, i take one of my gas cars. *OOOOOOOhhhh!*
I personally feel attacked as when im in school thats me but i do totally understand it. As someone in that age range for some reason I feel like im being judged almost when im driving my SUV over the BMW. But not having to rely on someone else ever is also great because I have all the practicality I need for any weather or if i need to haul stuff.

As for the smart its easy to make fun of but its basically a street legal electric go-kart, fits anywhere and its worry free parking.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0