Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Yep, looks from some truckers are priceless. Some are friendly, some are aggressive (and clueless). I got used to this.

I would really like to test X7 for towing. If there would be a diesel version in the US, I would drive it already. I am afraid that 40i would be too small and I cannot mentally spend $100k plus for a car Therefore, I am towing with $10k car!
What is the towing capacity of your X5d? The towing capacity of the X7 either in 6 cyl form (40i) or 8 cyl form (M50i/50i) is the same at 7500 lbs. Your trailer is already pushing that limit based on the weight you stated - and I am assuming that weight is your fully loaded weight. And when you take into account the additional weight you may cary in your SUV (people, luggage, gear, etc), which is supposed to be included when calculating how much you should tow, you could easily exceed the factory tow limit of 7500 lbs, even if only by a little.

All that being said (and I may be preaching to the choir here), it does not mean you can't tow your rig with the X7 successfully or safely - especially when using a WDH and anti-sway equipment, which you appear to be using with your X5d setup. Car manufacturers always have engineering tolerances built into their designs and the towing capacity is no different. I don't know what the engineering tolerances are for the towing capability, but you will definitely be eating into them with your rig. Which of course means if you have an issue that could be associated with towing your "large" rig, either warranty (from BMW) or accident (from your insurance company), you may be on your own. I like your idea of doing an X7 test drive with your tow rig, I considered doing one myself. But admittedly I would be shocked if the dealer would let you do it given the size and weight of your rig.

FWIW, I have a 40i and plan to tow my ~6000# rig which is a car (my current M3) on a steel, open deck trailer with built in tire rack (seen below hooked up to my now replaced Ford Expedition EL, older & lighter car, and before tire rack install). Incidentally, my old Expedition, with a 5.4L V8 has a rated towing capacity of 9000#, with a less powerful motor compared to my X7 40i. Also, while the power/torque of the N63 V8 engine in the M50i/50i may feel intoxicating and fun, if you are in it to keep your X7 for the long haul, I would recommend you stick with the 40i as the BMW 6 cyl engines have a much better longevity, maintenance and reliability history compared to the V8's over the years (and you can get a handsomely equipped 40i for around a MSRP of $85k too .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0