View Single Post
      07-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
3me
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6spd mt 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
I had an E46 M3 for 3 years, so I speak from experience. The E92 335i and E46M3 have similar numbers but perform very differently. I don't think the M3 makes for a very good daily driver, especially one with SMG. It is an intense car that comes alive only when driven hard. The engine wakes up over 4krpm and is a monster up to redline. But below 4k, there isn't much there. So, you have to "keep it on the boil" to get the performance. IOW, lots of gear rowing is involved. Sport mode only remaps the throttle. It doesn't do anything for the torque curve. The ride, which is much stiffer than an E92, is responsive and fun. But it can be harsh on even moderately bad pavement. Your passengers might not appreciate the ride. My advice: find a low mileage example with a 6MT. Take it for a long, test drive on lots of different roads. If you still love it, then understand that you are buying a relatively low production vehicle with some fairly exotic running gear. Rest assured:it will be a costly mother to maintain when the warranty is up.
Not to get into an arguement or anything...but when warranty runs up in 335i's i believe it will be a little harsher than the m3's warranty expiring. I mean 335i's have two turbos and a VERY questionable HPFP. The m3 is slightly dated. My uncle has owned his since 2003...that is going on 7 years of ownership. and the only thing he has had to replace was an alternator...and bmw picked up the cost for him. After 7 years..that is pretty good. I doubt ANYONE in here will be able to say that about there 335i in 7 years. If so...come back and correct me i will welcome it.