07-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
I agree the voice recognition for numbers is great - gets it right first time. Unfortunately, the voice recognition for the names in my address book is pretty sketchy. It seems to search alphabetically and stop at the first match it thinks is close. Rarely gets it right unless the name is simple like "home".
(You don't mention it explicitly, but I assume that you have iDrive)
The trick there is to reprogram your phonebook (on the phone) so that the display names are very phonetically different and are also "Pronounceable". It works very well then. Before I got my E90 a lot of my phonebook entries has abbreviations (ie Joe Bloggs' Mobile was probably JoeB Mb - all that changed once I received the car - no more abbreviations)

If you find that a particular name is being misrecognised, change the display name text to something else. I've not really has recognition problems like this unless these has been background noise in the car whilst I've been speaking the commands. (One exception is the Nav system, which keeps recognising "United Kingdom" as "the Vatican" - this is the first car I've had that has tried to make me find religion!)

I was expecting, either to need to record voice tags for the bluetooth system, or for the car to refer the voice input to the phone for recognition. I'm impressed by the way it figures out how your voice matches the text in the display name.
Appreciate 0