View Single Post
      12-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Odd solution about carbon...

So i was at my mechanics having my 5k mile oil change.
Switching out from the BMW jungle juice to the French Elf full synthetic.
And we got to thinking and talking about the carbon and all the other cars are having the issue.

We came to the conclusion that there may be a method by which to slowly over time remove or prevent carbon build up.
By adding a more volatile detergent to the oil which would outgas at a significantly lower temperature than the oil, you could slowly over time introduce a chemical cleaning agent to the the intake manifold and over time wash away some if not all of the accumulated carbon.

We were just having coffee and discussing the issue and such over the counter cleaners such as marvins mystery oil, sea foam, lucas or even good old Chevron Techron added to the oil may do the trick. Though perhaps the best may just be a cup of good old kerosene. A few days right before an oil change may be enough to slowly push back the tide of carbon build up.

Though we were unsure of if just adding it to the oil on a regular basis would have any harm. But when you have a high strung engine that is turbo charged...you tend to tread lightly when it comes to playing god with the oil formulations.

I do have a good friend who is a product manager for Volvo and they will be going 2L turbo DI in their next model year...and he is being very very tight lipped about it but he did let slip that they have been in talks with Mobile 1 about some sort of anti carbon formulation.

So guys i know this sucks, for some of us more than others...but it's industry wide and maybe in the next year or so as more DI engines come on the roads there may be an over the counter additive we can add to our oil to wash away the buildup with out the need of nut blasting our intakes.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0