View Single Post
      07-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
I guess that depends... does BMW have any reliability issues with the N54 bypass valves? I owned an Audi 1.8T and it was notorious for killing the diaphram (sp?) on the std BPV so I finally bought a piston-BPV from Forge and it was rock solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
Agreed, seems a bit to suba-ishi or is it mitsi-baru. Blow off valves etc too rice racer for me sorry
^^BOV isn't really necessary, but it's nice insurance to have one if anyone plans to tune their car and deal with higher boost levels. Something about the o-rings in the stock BOV isn't up to par IIRC. However I am running up to 13-14 psi at times with the stock BOV no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
I'll be honest, I would say at this point a cold air intake usually hurts these cars more than it helps them. UNLESS, you are driving around a track at the top end of the gears and can use the 3-5hp increase it gives out. If you're just an enthusiast/spirited driver on the highway or even worse, city... the intake usually snags away some low end torque to give way for the top end gain. To me, one of the more attractive parts of these cars is the mass amount of low end torque so i would hate to dip into that for a few top end ponies.

just something to consider.

plus if its not a true cold air (in the wheel well or front grilles) you have to deal with the mass amounts of heat soak.
Yeah the stett one is pretty much the only one that won't give you heat soat, which is why I mentioned it. Even the AFE dual cones I have make me lose a little bit of power down low, but I prefer the sound and the power increases a tiny bit when the boost gets very high, so it's a bit of a sacrifice.

Other mods to consider:

Short shift kit. Works wonders

Charge pipe (kinda goes with the BOV)

Clutch stop (if the clutch in the 1M is the same as in the 135i then you'll appreciate this)

Not required, but an FMIC will help lower intake air temperatures and will benefit on a track

that's about it.. the "importance" of everything else (chip/tune, suspension upgrades, etc) varies from person to person. I would stress that an oil catch can (OCC) is pretty important though. The HPF one is much better than the BSH one in my opinion, but some people run the BSH and like it. These engines get a butt-ton of carbon build up. You'll want to seafoam it once in a while.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0