View Single Post
      10-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #12
Coyot
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Limted Slip Differentials in e90/92

I' m told by local BMW people in Greece that typical mechanical LSDs will not cooperate either smoothly or efficiently with the car's DTC/DSC (which already functions as "passive LSD"), and may cause excessive brake wear or even get damaged themselves on the long run.

BMW "M" differentials on the other hand, which do have a variable torque bias, are electronically controlled by the M cars' respective Engine Control Units, so they are not an option for ordinary E90/92s.

It seems (please, correct me if I am wrong) that only torque-sensitive LSDs such as the "Automatic Torque Biasing" ones produced by QUAIFE can work successfully in cars with BMW's newest DTC/DSC.
However, an ATB for E90/92 is not offered "off-the-shelf" by Quaife right now. They need a group order of at least 10-12 pieces for whatever they haven't already produced.

I'm an absolute newbie and not familiar with the forum's policies in similar matters, but I suggest it might be a good idea to seek information from Quaife, as a Forum. I guess we could get a more substantial response from them than as individuals.
Appreciate 0