View Single Post
      04-26-2024, 11:13 AM   #53
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post
So I got completely geared up to do an install of a powered Audison APBX 10 AS2 subwoofer w/ the TechnicPnP harness, and realized that having the 5 zone climate package appears to significantly complicate the install. The rear HVAC unit appears to be completely obstructing the factory amplifier, which you need to tap into for the wiring harness.

Update: found this thread with instructions for removing the rear trim panel in order to access the amp: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2011815
My installer ran into the same problem with the B&W system (not sure which one you have. I also have the Cold Weather package with the 3rd row climate control.

While we are on this topic, here has was my experience with Technic PNP harness, the LOC they supplied, and the JL Audio loaded and powered boxes:

-I started with a JL Audio 10" powered box (ACS110LG-TW1-UOB-K = 400W RMS). WAY TOO MUCH BASS. That was with the LOC cranked down to zero, the crossover at the lowest setting and the gain at the lowest setting. However, if I set the iDrive bass down to 0 or even up to like +2, then it sounded fine. This didnt work for me as I wanted the bass on B&W door speakers to fire hard since they are amazing so I returned it.

-I swapped that for a JL Audio 8" powered box (ACP108LG-W3v3-UA = 250W RMS). Same problem, WAY TOO MUCH BASS. Same settings for the sub and LOC as above but now I could maybe go up to +4 bass in iDrive and it wouldn't be overkill. Mind you, this is with the sub flipped upside down in the spare tire compartment wrapped in Dynamat.

-I was at my wits end and was ready to try one last sub that had way less power than both of those units (the Kicker 46HS10 with 180W RMS) but before I did that, had one last idea.

-So I bought the JL Audio gain knob (in this case, it was the RBC-1 which is compatible with the 8" sub I referenced above). Low and behold, that gave me the ability to actually control how hard the sub was hitting from low to medium to high. Before, I felt like I was stuck at either medium/high or high only.

-So now I have my iDrive bass maxed out so the B&W is doing what it's supposed to, the crossover set to about 80, and the gain on the knob set to about half and it's perfect!

This was a lot of trial and error but the finished product was 1000% worth the time and money invested as I now have what I think is the best system I've ever heard in a vehicle.
Appreciate 0