04-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #9
swenzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Escalad / 17 Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Rear Display Mirror is awesome.

The rear view mirror is a display but also works as a regular mirror if the camera failed or the feature is turned off.

They have a special coating that makes it work like a regular optical mirror when the display is turned off or not working.

The field of view is much better than a regular mirror and is ideal for SUVs.

The way it works is there is a camera mounted somewhat high in the rear of vehicle.

GM has been the early adopter and has it across their product line from cars, to suvs to caddies. It's available on higher trim levels. In a recent C&D test, they called this feature out in the Chevy Silverado and thought Ram and Ford should have it.

Toyota has rolled this out for cars in Japan and will launch in the USA at some point.

Hyundai Palidade will get it.

Expect the German companies to adopt it slower for whatever reason.

The primary vendor for this product is Gentex who has 90 percent share of self dimming mirrors.

I hope bmw puts in the x7 for the LCI version coming in 2022.
Yeah, I think that would be a very good feature for trucks, vans, and SUV that will be used to haul a lot of stuff and people. Drivers are used to check the rear view mirror for anything behind them and not the center console, and I want to keep the center console display for navigation and radio etc.
Appreciate 1