Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
Driving modes have no affect on boost, outside of how it relates to throttle input. Pedal on the floor means pedal on the floor, so you will be able to see full boost in any driving mode.
Not true, at least based on what I know about the F80 M3 (which I own) as that was my frame of reference. In addition to changing the throttle mapping in each mode, the parameters of the boost control in the car change to affect how the boost comes on depending on the driving mode AND pedal position. So while full throttle will always be full power/boost, regardless of drive mode, at part throttle (which is where we spend the overwhelming majority of our time), the engine response for the driver will be different depending on the driving mode. On the M3, you can actually hear an audible difference in part throttle depending on the drive mode, specifically the boost noise is very apparent in Sport+, not so much in Sport and non-existent in Efficient (which is equivalent to Eco in non M-cars). All that being said, as this X5 (and now the X7 that I own) are not M-cars, the drive mode logic/programming for the M-cars vs non M-cars could be different. But based on my experience with my M3, that X5 loaner and my experience with my X7, it seems like the programing logic is basically the same (albeit with different engines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
of the most important factors of the DHP is that you can have a stiffer ride when you want it, and a softer ride when you want it. DHP doesn't mean stiffer ride. If anything, Comfort with DHP rides better than Comfort without DHP.

DHP tech also isn't very new. The only thing that's new is with the X5/X6, the change from hydraulic ARS to electric ARS, which should prove to be more reliable. Bigger brakes, M Sport diff, rear wheel steering, and the Active Comfort Drive w/ Road Preview fanciness have been around for some time now.

I'm not trying to force you to like it, just clarifying a bit here. I agree it does make alignments a bit more complicated, and it most certainly isn't a cheap option.
So for this, maybe I should have said "more common/widespread technology" vice "new technology". While this tech is not new, it is not that common place among vehicles on the road today. The more common the tech is, in general the more reliable it is and easier/less expensive to get fixed if it breaks. An example would be anti-lock brakes. There was a time when this tech was new and only found on high end cars - and like all new tech, it had some growing pains. But now anti-lock brakes is pretty much standard on every car produced now - from an econo box to to the most high end luxury vehicle. And the reliability of your typical ABS is pretty high now as it has been refined over the years (even though the cost to repair a Porsche ABS system will still be more than a Hyndai - more so because of the name, not the difficulty of the tech).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0