View Single Post
      07-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #31
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Thanks for the great info. Just to confirm, even without DHP, are you able to adjust the suspension setting? I test drove 2020 M50i without DHP and with a press of button, the suspension of the car seemed a bit stiffer - is this controlled through air suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I don't have an X7 (yet) but I recently had a loaner X5 40i and played around with all of those settings as my assumption is that they are the same on the X7 40i. Also, my '17 M3 has those settings so I have some familiarity with how they are setup.

First, the Sport settings allow you to change parameters for the engine, transmission, suspension and steering. The options for each are: Sport Plus, Sport and Comfort. When you press the Sport button on the center console, if you choose "Sport" you will have default sport settings for the engine, suspension, transmission and steering - what BMW assumes the "average" person will want for a "sporty ride". If you choose "Sport Individual" you will have the option to customize the settings for each component listed above. You must select Sport Individual Customize to see the menu to change each of those parameters. Then when you select Sport Individual, the car will use the Sport settings you customized.

After having the X5 for a few days, here is what worked best for me:

Sport Individual:
Engine: Sport Plus (better throttle response and max boost available)
Transmission: Sport (shift points in transmission just right, Sport + was too twitchy for me)
Suspension: Comfort (because the roads where I am suck and I have a sports car if I want a stiff ride on the street)
Steering: Comfort (since I prefer a lighter steering feel since this is an SUV after all; Sport+ made the X5 feel really heavy, I even use Comfort in my M3 for the same reason)

The customization is great and a few steps better than my M3. You have similar customization in the Eco settings as well. Although, I put the X5 in Eco mode and all of the settings made the X5 feel like complete mush, and I am sure the X7 would feel worse. But, YMMV.....
Appreciate 0