06-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #6
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Thanks...and I see your point.

I got a nail in the side wall. The run flat failed. Had to be towed 160 miles. BMW said I had to replace two tires because the opposing tire had 10,000 miles on it and the tread difference was significant to make a difference in the way the car handled. Total rip off.

When I ordered my new X3 a few months back I made sure to have it set up with regular radials and a spare.

As far as I am concerned run flats are a total scam.
Clearly, we disagree.

In consulting, as you may know, one of the ways to deal with a problem client is to charge more until they decide to walk.

I think this is what the designers had in mind with the G01 spare tire. Needing to respond to the demands of buyers like you, they had to offer something. But they made it so ugly, so unpalatable that most buyers would "get the message": BMWs are designed for RFTs.

For me, living with that ugly hump and uneven load floor caused by the spare in the G01 for five or six years is much worse than the cost of replacing RFTs. Plus, I see real value in RFTs. I've never had one fail, though. I have had three instances in which they saved my bacon.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1455.00