04-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #18
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DM View Post
Yes.

Especially if it's my only "supercar". If I could afford a 3-car stable then maybe you'd find a Ferrari, but I'd more likely have a Performante or 720s in there (or a 458 as a long-term keeper).

Many people that can afford a 488 GTB don't want a 488 GTB. Too flashy, not practical (not that the RS is "practical", but compared to the 488 it is). Ferrari ownership isn't really something I'm interested in...I have no need to impress the ladies in South Beach, Hollywood, or wherever most F-car owners go to boost their ego.

Basing it on lap times isn't the most fair comparison either. Most times, the RS will win but depending on the track and driver you may see the 488 edge the RS...but the wear-and-tear and running costs of a 488 for regular track duty far exceed that of a GT3. So if frequent track-duty is your objective, the RS still makes more sense to me. Unless you have so much money you don't care about the 488 upkeep in which case you may as well just keep looking at higher tier cars. McLaren Senna for regular track duty...why not.

If you were to give me a free GTB I wouldn't turn it down. But when it comes to my own money, I'd go RS. I'm sure plenty of people would go the opposite but they are likely looking for different things. For what I paid for my GT3 I could have gone 458...if that gives you any real-world indication of what I would choose.
I quoted the lap time but I personally prefer the 488 over the RS has nothing to do with lap time. I prefer the 488 over the RS on pure driving pleasure on something as simple as a trip to Star Buck to get a cup of coffee or to a local market to get a pack of beers.

Also if someone is able to afford a 488 will probably be able to cover the cost of track expenses.
Appreciate 0