04-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I just do not see it.

Autonomous i am extremely pessimistic about, it's pie in the sky stuff that has stalled at best, if not receded as it is becoming apparent we are just not there yet technology wise and the step to proper AV is a massive one we cannot fathom how to resolve.

Electric, whilst ready on paper, I just do not see being adopted unless people are forced to. having to charge every damned day is going to annoy people, even those with garages. But there's a good portion of the population without the ability to charge at will so I cannot see electric being mandated. This is even before you get into the range argument.

i don't see it, i don't think we are as smart as we think we are.
Agreed on autonomous cars. Level 4 and 5 are likely over a decade away due to some of the corner cases that are hard to address (Costco parking lot, construction zones, etc.) However, I think Level 3 will be ready in a couple of years, starting with freeways and eventually on city streets.

EV is not for everyone, but as a commuter, it's hard to beat. Instead of thinking of having to charge everyday, think of never have to visit a gas station. Charging the car is as easy as charging a phone, and you are always starting with full range at start of the day. Can't really do that with any ICE unless you are willing to go get gas everyday. I would think that range anxiety isn't a concern for most of the people, since most of the newer EV's are coming with 200+ miles ranges.

Weight is definitely still a concern, but a long range AWD Tesla Model 3 (310 miles range) is 4000lb. Heavy, but not significantly more than F30 x-drive or MB W205. With CG being lower, it does mitigate the penalty of extra weight a bit.

There is still a long way to go for mass adaptation of EV, but the switch is happening. And I don't think that's bad.

p.s. I also want an ICE manual car as weekend fun car. That's why I have a MKVII GTI and want to get a 981 GT4.
Appreciate 0