United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I just do not see it.

Autonomous i am extremely pessimistic about, it's pie in the sky stuff that has stalled at best, if not receded as it is becoming apparent we are just not there yet technology wise and the step to proper AV is a massive one we cannot fathom how to resolve.

Electric, whilst ready on paper, I just do not see being adopted unless people are forced to. having to charge every damned day is going to annoy people, even those with garages. But there's a good portion of the population without the ability to charge at will so I cannot see electric being mandated. This is even before you get into the range argument.

i don't see it, i don't think we are as smart as we think we are.
I think the only problem is charging infrastructure and charging rates. If we can accomplish 50% charges in less than 30 minutes at charging stations, this could work. First, we wouldn't need to zone out gas stations which require a lot of special permits for underground tanks. Convenience stores and malls could simply make charging stations with high voltage power hookups so you could charge up your car while you shop. So we'd theoretically be able to have many more charging stations than gas stations so a little extra time charging wouldn't be a big deal.

IMO, until we do get proper charging infrastructure and standardization, PHEVs (plug-in hybrid electric vehicles) are what make the most sense for people who want an EV. These usually have an EV only range of about 50 miles which is sufficient for the vast majority of people's work commutes. But they also have a parallel engine that will give them a 300+ mile range extension. This gives them the ability to use it as an EV 90% of the time and still go on long road trips when needed.

Autonomous vehicles will come, I think. We're not going to get there as quickly as some people think.
Appreciate 0