2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So here is a question for those of you with this option.... Is the lane change by the "computer" really that aggressive/scary? Or does it just feel more aggressive/scary because it is a computer making the maneuver and not you, the human?

I know that when I drive, I will typically change lanes very deliberately, but I wouldn't consider it too aggressive like you are describing. However, when I am a passenger with my wife, who drives very passively compared to me, even her lane changes can feel a bit aggressive at times, just because I am not the one in control of the maneuver.

So in other words, is it merely a trust issue until you get used to the computer doing some of the driving on the highway? Also, can't you adjust the sensitivity/aggressiveness of the maneuvers the computer will make?
Definitely more aggressive! I just took delivery of a custom build 2020 X7 about 2 weeks ago. It is way more aggressive than what the normal human changes lanes. I, for instance, usually take many car lengths to make the full lane change. The X7 does it in about 2 car lengths or sooner.

Pretty aggressive in my opinion...
Sounds like my kind of driver..... But seriously, do you think you could eventually "trust" the computer? Even if the computer may drive more aggressively than a human (or you in this case), the one thing a computer should have over a human is consistency and accuracy - even with variable road and traffic conditions.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0