View Single Post
      09-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #21
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

contrary to what a lot of people are led to believe, some sidewall flex is good. that's why i would stick with an 18. it allows for more control. and it also allows for better grip. when weight transfers over onto one wheel it has the ability to compress a bit and provide a slightly better contact patch. as minimal as this is, it can make the difference between a 4.7 and a 4.9 second 0-60 time, or save you 2 seconds around a medium sized track.

that being said, all the extra rubber that is put into the Run flat tires seems to act the same way as putting a wheel that's too big on a car, there's less flex over all and it skips around over bumps more because it can't absorb them, thus killing handling.

And seeing as M cars don't use run flats, you might be able to get away with 19"s as the run flat draw backs aren't there. it will have to be one of those things someone on the boards will have to experiment with. But seeing as the car would come with 18" and non run flats, i can't see their being any perfomance gain from a 19 at all. it's purely for asthetics.

I often wonder if the 18s are even too big for our cars.

if people have issues with what i'm saying, how come formula 1 doesn't use low profile tires. or even drag cars?
Appreciate 0