View Single Post
      07-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #19
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
i should have been more specific, you are right. the car does NOT give off H2 while it is running on hydrogen power. "When running on hydrogen the only byproduct produced is the good old H2O." that being said, and like you quoted in nice bold letters , the car does release gaseous H2 from vents in the top when it is PARKED. this is also clearly stated in the owner's manual not to park the car in parking garages for this reason. however, i don't believe that this is a factor in a tunnel because even in bumper to bumper traffic (which some might consider to be similar to parking), the engine will still only give off h20 as long as it is running.
Still, I would not want to risk it on an unproven technology. Even NASA has blown shit up with their Hydrogen applications. Do you really want to chance it on a for profit company that is just starting to enter the Hydrogen era? Car companies have been known to royally f' up when it comes to safety and make harsh calculations (read "the Ford Pinto Memo")on how much it will cost to retrofit vs pay out settlements. Go ask ford why their Pintos exploded or Chevy why their trucks would catch fire if they were hit from the side. I'll leave the blowing stuff up to NASA TYVM.

Oh and can you imagine the vast hordes of stupid people driving around with enough explosiveness in their trunks to wipe out a small village? I can't wait until the 5 o'clock news when the latest gas station fire wipes out half of the state of Minnesota. Hydrogen in ordinary people's hands == FTL
Appreciate 0