View Single Post
      09-29-2006, 02:18 AM   #22
m3holiday
Rep
Drives: 2003 TiAg M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrady View Post
In this situation, i truly do wish that flaming would be allowed in this forum. Their is no ****ing way in hell that the M3 0-60 will be anywhere near 3.8 or 4.1. First of all, a Ferrari F430 has a 0-60 at a 4.0 and the spider is at 4.1, you've truly lost your mind if you think this M3 will be that fast. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if this were to be true but it's completely illogical for this car to be faster than the M5/M6; I think the best guess would be 4.6 or 4.7, since the M5 stands at 4.5. BMW won't make a M5 going for 90K and have an M3 going for 30-40K less that would be much faster, just doesn't make sense. Sorry...
3.9-4.1 0-60 is possible with the right power to weight ratio. Using a Ferrari as an example isn't a valid argument either. Besides the fact that road and track got 0-60 in 3.6 seconds for the F430, and they are notoriously conservative in their tests. A Corvette Z06 gets 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, why couldn't a M3? Not to mention all these tests are subjective to weather, driver, etc...420Hp in a 3600 pound car is going to do some damage, the key will be torque #s to see what it will really do. I doubt the E92 M3 will only be marginally faster than a 335, but I suppose it's possible.

Cars are getting fast... I can understand why you don't think it would be as fast or faster than an M5 or M6, but as others have said M5s and M6s will most likely still have more top end power. Like the disparity between the e46 M3 and e39 M5. 0-60 and 1/4 times are similar, but do a 40-120 and the e39 will win hands down.

Even if the car is faster than them, it in now way degrades the M5 and M6 because they have a little bit of a different target market. Case in point a 650 is 10-15k more than and E46 M3 but slower. Did the 650 owner get ripped off? Having an M6 is in the class of owning an Aston Martin(which I'd rather have to be honest). The Aston is more expensive, but there is the exclusivity of it. Same with the M5 and M6. People don't buy them only b/c they are fastest. They buy them for brand, class, engineering, and they are fast. Otherwise they'd be in a Z06.

Sorry for the rant on my first post here. I'll step down from the soap box now.
Appreciate 0