12-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #93
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
THere are a lot of fun things being said on here by some people who obviously don't know how the automotive design process works. Let's discuss what it's not.

It's not a 2 series / M2. There is no way that BMW would change the roofline and chop the wheelbase for either a 2 series LCI or an M2. Think about it people, that would require a complete set of crash tests. Just not going to happen.

It's not a Mini. No way that car is FWD. Proportions are off. There is too much body panel between the door and front wheel, and as has been stated, you can see the diff.

It's not a GTS / Race car. Those cars have homologation rules, which require a certain number of cars built (varies by series). Again, would have to crash test / type approve to sell, then sell the cars in limited numbers, to make a small race car? Just not not a feasible project.

It's either a Z4 mule, or a new sports coupe.
Exactly this. There is ZERO chance of the M2 having this extensive of modifications. Automakers make cars like this all the time. Nearly every new program starts out with a cut up version of a current vehicle. Most of the time they are not this nice, but they are typically not driven on public roads, either.

As for the cost of one-off body panels . . . that's inconsequential. Automakers do it all the time for concept cars and show cars. This one car probably cost 7 figures to make, so using a carbon fiber roof or hood to get the CoG right is no big deal.

It's a Chassis Mule for the BMW/Toyota joint venture or another unknown sports car.