06-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Have you driven an e30 M3?

I'd agree the e30 feels more delicate or more tossable. But, I would say the e46 feels more raw. If you can look past the nicer materials, the e46 rides harsher, makes more mechanical noises (e.g. M clunk), and has a more cantankerous engine (e.g. the s54 has trouble holding a steady idle). I'd argue the e46 is the most raw feeling of all the M3 generations.
Feeling raw goes way beyond those things. The e46 has way more electronic nannies and sound insulation than the e30. The clutch feel is numb in comparison (it has a CDV afterall), the throttle response is not as quick nor direct, and it has way more sound insulation (ie, refined) than the e30. The e46 feels like you're inside a tank/coffin relative to the e30. Just because it's engine make more mechanical noises (or is "cantankerous") doesn't make it "rawer" than the e30. You feel more of the road on the e30 and you have a more direct connected feel to the car (throttle, clutch, steering). IMO, that's what makes the e30 more raw than the e46.

Did I mention rev-hanging? A direct-connected, raw feeling car shouldn't have this just for the sake of emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Lol yeah i about spit out my cornflakes hearing " the E46 M3 is about as raw as it gets " lol.

No... a 2002 would be as raw as it gets for a BMW .. and an E30 M3 would be next .. The E46 is a luxobarge in comparison to both. Lol.
Agreed.
Appreciate 1