View Single Post
      07-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
I'd contact AFE cause their is no way that this flaw should be fixed with tape. There is either something wrong with that intake or something wrong with how it is installed.

If you are suggesting there is a design flaw with the product I would be pretty surprised about that.
I'd definitely put it down to a design flaw.

It's hard to explain, but the best I can describe it is that the stock intake connection has a seated connection to the intake ducting that routes to the opening behind the grille. The way that the stock ducting mates up to the stock intake box ensures a complete connection between the two (with no gaps). The aFe does not have this same seated connection; instead, the aFe box merely lines up with the intake ducting. As a result, you can see and feel some fairly substantial gaps at the connection point once the aFe is installed.

Its not a huge issue, but if you're trying to maximize the "ram-air" benefits of the cooler air being collected by the scoop behind the grille, then I think you'd want to seal the ducting connection to the aFe airbox.
Appreciate 0