05-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT View Post
You are right ... and I can underwrite this !!!

BUT my problem with the new engine is not that the great S65 has died ... if all car brands drops their NA-engine because of fuel milage laws, we have to accept this. What I will not except is, that they choose the layout of the S55 mainly because of cost reduction reasons ... there are some other engines in the BMW engine portfolio that are much better suited for an M turbo engine with an racing like engine characteristic than the N55(N54).

AND I an no dreamer, but for me its totally clear, that the new M3/M4 is not so fast because of its engine, but in spite of his engine ... there are many other things in the new M3/M4, which make its as fast as it is.
we know there's no way they're bringing back the S65. if you want one, go buy a used e90. if you have money to waste, do a swap for an ungodly amount (though you're better off just buying a GT3).

also, people need to stop bitching about the cost efficiencies of the S55. take a look at how steady they kept the price compared to the outgoing M3. I think most would agree that the price is quite fair (frustrations over the exec pack bundling, notwithstanding).

also, I'm curious - what better engine platform within their lineup was there for them to use?
Appreciate 0