Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7-M

Garage List
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
The tow package you are referring to is an upgrade from 348 to 374. There is a difference between size and performance between 348 and 374. Rotor and pads are larger. It will help with brake fade since the rotor is larger, it doesn’t get so hot compared to a smaller rotor. Also, larger pads equals more stopping power.

I upgraded mines from 374 to 395. It is basically just a larger housing with everything else the same. The pads are the same exact size even though the housing is larger physically. Even the pistons are the same size. You do have a larger rotor from 374 to 395 but you also add more rotating mass. I don’t know how it perform with a load attached to my car so I don’t know if it will help or not but for daily driving and sometime quick slowdown, it felt the same for me. It might help a little with brake fade but I can’t see much performance gain as far as slowing down. I did the upgrade because I had 395 in my F10 535 (yes, in my F10) and wanted to go down one size so I can fit factory 19” with some extra clearance.

In the photo I uploaded, the 348 was closer to me and 374 was further away. Given that perspective, it’s still smaller if you compare end to end. Draw a line straight down from both ends of 374 caliper, you will see that 348 is smaller. I sell these calipers pretty often in F10 5 series because it is a popular upgrade.
Gotcha, that makes sense.
I would like to follow up with another dumb question. How do you measure your brakes?
I have a 40i with an M package, does the BMW use the standard size brakes for this model? Not the smallest I assume, I hope 😬
Appreciate 0