CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
When I learned to drive a manual, I had more difficulty with getting the car to move from a stop than the shifting itself.

If you are in a similar position, my recommendation would be to practice using the gas very gently while easing off very slowly with the clutch. You will then get used to the "friction point" of the clutch. This is where the car will begin to move forward while you release the clutch. Once you find this point, begin to press the gas a little harder while you release the clutch a little faster. Once you perect this technique, you will have no problem getting the car to start from a stop.

Also, this technique will help you with smoother shifts (especially the rough 1-2 shift I hear so many people here complain of). I have been driving manual cars for over 12 years and the 1-2 shift seems no more difficult than any other car I have driven.
Appreciate 0