Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
dcstep, thanks for the feedback. Do you find while cruising around town it's easier to stay in the main power band of this car? Do you notice if you're getting into the upper range of RPMs more on acceleration?

Where I live, if I'm not on the highway, by the time I hit 8,000 RPM in second gear I'm already far over the posted speed limit. Sometimes it's hard to get the good hard accelerating power to the ground immediately and by the time it's there I'm already speeding. This would be my main reason for changing out the diff. Top speed is totally unnecessary for me.
Well, it's only a little over a 6% change, so you'll only be going 6% slower when you hit 8-grand. The speed limit here in Colorado is 75 and I only redline it a few times per week on the street. I do tend to keep it near 4-grand and it's more responsive in all gear; however, it not going to dratically change which gear your in. It IS easy to keep it on it's power band.

I think you'll find it more satisfactory, BUT I'm worried that you're expecting too much change. You generally will be in the same gears, but the rpm will be nearer the torque peak most of the time.

It helps dead starts and acceleration from rolling starts, but speed dependent. It's NOT going to keep you from speeding at 8000 rpm.

Dave