Thread: Speed Ticket
View Single Post
      09-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

yeah there's some spots heading up towards Bellingham that you really have to watch.

Ok, in WA State, they actually are able to arrest you if you're going 20 over the speed limit. Hence that "negligent" ticket you got. On your ticket you have the option to pay, contest by hearing/court date, or request a hearing/court date to "explain the situation". This last option is an admition of guilt, and the ticket will not be dismissed. The officer who issued the citation does not have to appear.

You run a very high chance of having this ticket greatly reduced by selecting the 3rd option. When you go in for your hearing/court date, don't make excuses. Say something like "I usually stick to the speed limit, but I got dstracted and lost track of my speed. It was my fault for not paying better attention". You have a pretty good chance of getting this thing dropped by 40-50%.

I'm sorry to say, I have a little bit of experience in this, although not for a few years (knock wood). good luck!