View Single Post
      12-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #20
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarriga
In order to reach a full throttle opening, I don't believe you have to engage the kick-down mode. You should be able to put the car into manual mode, select a gear, and then depress the throttle to the first pressure detent. It will then hold that gear to redline. Is that not how everyone else's car works?

For track days I'm having a clip-in throttle stop made to prevent the kick-down from working (i.e. the exit of the carosel at sears point, where a higher gear may be better and the potential torque fluctuation from an un-intended downshift would cause a rear lock-up when close to the limit). Maybe it could help in getting good dyno results from auto cars...

If there is a throttle map difference between the first and second detents, I’d rather tune for the first detent, where the operation of the car is based on driver inputs through the paddle shifters. Well, for Road courses anyways.
Exactly. Put the trans in DS mode and then use the paddles to put the car in 3rd gear. Then depress the throttle till the first pressure detent. You will have full throttle at that point, from 2000rpm to redline.
Appreciate 0