View Single Post
      09-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

So, first off, this is my "real world" economy. I tend to do lots of small journeys around home on weekends (3-25 miles per journey), I can charge at home but tend to leave it for overnight when we've got an EV tariff. I have two long journeys in the week (around 380 miles total, mostly on motorways, frequently lots of traffic problems/jams) with lots of small journeys (10-15 miles) during the week between hotel/office/client office. I can charge at my hotel/office + customer (well, apart from today when a fully charged Nissan Leaf was sat in the electric charge spot...hmmm) Also had a petrol car sat in a spot at my hotel but reception sorted out getting it moved... welcome to a new level of worry... :-)

Photo is my MPG/electric usage since fuel fill up on Friday. So, combining a weekend, a 170 mile motorway trip and 2 days of local "small journeys" + a 30 mile meander this evening just going "nowhere" and revelling in electric-ness + a bit of hoofing it :-)

In summary I've covered over half the 264 miles in electric, average is 91.4 MPG. Reckon my Mondeo would be at about 55 MPG at best...

A few caveats. I don't follow the BMW stereotype of sitting in the outside line up someone's backside doing 90 MPH. Once perhaps but not now... I'm the inside lane guy just pottering along, out of the rat race, doing maybe 60-65. I'm still running in so have been fairly gentle. Mostly been in Hybrid Eco Pro with a few Electric only sessions. I've had a few XtraBoost moments but only a few. Have also had some Sport moments to see how that works (maybe 15-20 miles). Made a lot of use of the Driving Assistant and the 330e's general ability to judge/pre-apply braking when approaching roundabouts/junctions. Still trying to work out whether it's based on the vehicle in front slowing down or just sat NAV data... it is uncannily accurate.

So longer term I reckon the 91.4 will come down, when I drive back home later in the week but still, pretty WOW!

Oh, warning if using the 3-pin charger that you get with the car. The 3-pin end can get proper hot so make sure you don't burn yourself when unplugging. Not that I did that this evening, no, not me... :-(

What I like about this is that is dispels' the magazine/press wisdom that PHEV's are only good for people who just do short local journeys. If you're doing 300 miles/day/every day then maybe a 320d would be better but there is no way a 320d would get ANYWHERE near these figures on the same cycle...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1