12-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I have been tracking since 1999. I have really only gone to BMWCCA events and I say they are fairly safe. Yes for sure it is a track event and stuff happens. I have seen about a dozen accidents on the track. I also make sure that I go to events that have fewer walls and as S4 says don't push it. Of those dozen accidents all but one have been novice students that weren't listening to their instructors and continued to push it beyond their abilities. The one that wasn't was an advanced student "A" in a brand new e46 M3 that he had never tracked before. He got on it too early and slamed into the wall at Laguna Seca.

I myself have spun my car on the track. I will tell you it scared the crap out of me but luckily no damage. As others have said you should assume you'll have to pay for any and all damage. You should also drive within your limits. I go and my #1 priority is to "keep the sunny side up". I don't get cocky and I don't push it even close to where I'm not in control. Still anything can happen.

I have been told though that if you make the cross from driving schools to racing schools its not about IF you'll get into an accident but WHEN. Seeing as I take my daily driver I just enjoy it, learn the car, learn the track and don't push it too far. I get to take my car past the limits that are available on the streets and have an awesome time and I feel its still pretty safe. Safe enough that I had my wife start doing track events as well.

Look up the BMWCCA events. They are a lot of fun and well organized.
Appreciate 0