S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbh View Post
I've been to three track weekends thus far (two with BMWCCA), so I'm still very new to all of this, but in all honesty - I have felt safer on the track then I did driving to the track. I am not joking or exagerating. Even though we were driving fast on the track, all of the cars were going in the same direction, everyone was paying attention to what they were doing, and everyone had an instructor in the car with them that was also paying attention to what was going on.

For an extra measure of safety, I also left all of the stability and traction control systems turned on.

For what it's worth, the BMWCCA instructors and organizers have said that accidents are particularly rare in the novice groups.

I agree with what the other posters have mentioned. But seriously, driving on the interstate around Atlanta is way, way, way more dangerous than driving on Road Atlanta.

One last warning - if you do try it, you'll get addicted and it will cost you a fortune!

Its nice that they said (your instructors) that novice group issues are rare...but it all depends on where you are running, what group you are running with, and how they run the event. I have seen issues in all groups..even the instructor group...yes, I have seen an instructor roll a car in the rain at Infineon/Sears Point...turn 8B...it was a slow roll..but it was a roll all the same. The good part about being in a car with an instructor..is that they can intervene when you are upsetting the car....doing things like braking in the middle of corners...etc. If you persist..they can pull you in the hot or cold pits for a long talk about the rules of track driving.

BTW, just for another data point..I have probably spun out on track...15-18 times..yes, that many. A few times in the rain..but mostly in the dry. What did I do wrong...well, it early on in my driving career..and I did things like:

1) lifting while in a corner
2) braking while in a corner
3) early apexing (turning to early) - this is a big thing you need to overcome asap.
4) following someone doing the WRONG line
5) staying on throttle when the car is pushing already (wheels turned..car still going straight)
6) riding a wet painted berm (oops..those things are real slippery)

Dont feel bad if you actually do spin...its all part of the learning process. Just come in..talk to the nice control person..tell them what you did..tell them you will take it easy from now on..and assure them you wont do it again.

Steve-out.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0