09-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
If your insurance company totals it, when they come to you with an offer and you think it is too low, tell them they need to indemnify you. This means that they need to find a car like yours ( with all the options, features, miles ) for the price they are offering. Make them tell you where the car is. I went through a similar thing 3 years ago when I totaled my 2004. I ended up getting 2 x the original offer. Just saying.
I Can't tell you what to do in your situation, but I wanted to echo what imz4m said.
I have a 83 Rabbit GTi. Was rear ended by a car that was rear ended. Insurance offered me $500 for the total loss and I laughed at them. "Find me one for that, these are very rare now." I said. I offered to send them listings of similar cars which varied from 1500 to 8000. They ended up calling each one of them, then settling on one nearby at $2000. They paid me that and told me the guy is waiting on my call, but I can keep my current car either way.
Maybe it depends on adjusters, but I'd talk with them like they are car guys as well.

My only other bit of advice is: if you do go the repair route, buy the body shop pizzas. Once in the beginning, say like a week in. And maybe again towards the assembly and painting. These guys get cookies and muffins from thankful clients, but it's always after the work is complete. That food has no effect on the investment the body shop tech has in your car. Do it before they start straightening, repairing, and assembling and you might be able to avoid the "looks good from my house" approach to repair they might have on other clients cars.