Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
Really appreciate all the replies.

DVC, super helpful post. One thing though, there is now a KW kit that operates via the OEM sport/comfort switch, they call them the plug and play DDCs.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...72saAktH8P8HAQ

It's an interesting point that these are not truly adaptive, just adjustable. I did not know that.

I'm not a track junkie like you, so it's possible the Dinan setup would be fine for me performance-wise. But it's the ride height that's getting me.

If I could paraphrase your post, you basically determined that keeling the EDC functionality wasn't worth compromising on your other priorities. That's how I've been leaning as well, with ride height key for me. With no track days in my future that's why I'm thinking KW Street Comfort.

One follow-up, did your coils include an EDC delete kit to avoid error codes, or did you code it out? I haven't fond a perfect EDC delete coding link for the F30. I've found some links for the f80 that would probably work, but I'm still researching this. Thanks again.
Thanks - glad to help!
Yes, for me the OEM adaptive dampers, even with the Dinan mods, were not quite performance-focused enough. And the Dinan springs didn't hold up in my case, so ride height became an issue. So for me, height adjustable coil overs were the answer... and it turns out I really don't miss the dynamic "adaptive" nature of the OEM system in the slightest ; )

I checked the TMS link, and they do list the Plug and Play kit as compatible with the F30... but when I read through the detailed description, it says,
Quote:
...A KW button can be installed in the dash area to select among 3 pre-set shock settings (the factory EDC button remains but is deactivated). This may require modifying your trim depending on where you want the KW button to be installed...
Looks like they're calling it the "Plug and Play" kit, but it's really just the standard "EDC" kit. KW lists 2 DDC versions on their site - the Plug and Play version works with "VW Scirocco, VW Golf IV, VW Passat, BMW 3-series, and other models", but last I checked, the F chassis cars weren't among the supported 3-series models. This may have changed though - a call to KW is probably in order to determine for sure.

In terms of avoiding error codes from unplugging the OEM EDC dampers, there are a couple of hardware options (including the KW module), but I found a shop in NJ with the knowledge to code it out. I e-mailed a number of coders local to me in NJ, and all of them either insisted that it could not be done (one of whom went as far as rudely insisting that my car did not even have adaptive dampers), or admitted that they just didn't know how to do it... but a shop in CA assured me that they had done it on a couple of F30s, so I persevered until I found a local shop that would do it.

One other thing I just remembered that's worth mentioning to anyone with OEM EDC dampers who's considering going aftermarket... My BMW EDC dampers were different than other dampers (including the equivalent BMW non-EDC dampers for my car) in one very important way: the left and right dampers are different. The non-EDC dampers (and my Öhlins coil overs) have the end link mounting bracket welded on the same way, such that when the left/right dampers are mounted on opposing sides, the brackets orient forward on one side and backward on the other side. These dampers require the same "left side" end link part number for use on the left and right side. But for some reason, my EDC dampers are different - with the end link mounting bracket welded on in a mirror image from left to right, so that they orient the same direction when mounted on opposing sides... and as such, they use a different end link for the left and right sides.
I mention this because my shop and coil over manufacturer were unfamiliar with this (not many of us upgrading from EDC dampers yet, I guess), so if you receive a coil over kit like this, you (and the installer) may end up scratching your heads, and assuming that you received 2 "left side" shocks, when looked at compared to the EDC dampers. And of course my OEM right side end link did not fit - I had to scramble to find a 2nd "left side" end link to complete the installation. (I ended up ordering a pair of UUC Motorwerks adjustable end links shortly after, which are better for multiple reasons.)

Last edited by DVC; 08-17-2016 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 2