View Single Post
      05-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post
IF you have local kart tracks, you can usually do classes there.
Arrive and Drive, they call it.
Look into that.

Yes, you can drive Karts.
I'm 6' and 215 and I drive fine.

You have a size/weight disadvantage like me, but I keep up with the smaller, fast guys, so imagine if I was lucky enough to weight 160.

Up at Jim Hall Kart Racing school, the track record for short track/sprint Karts is 34.6 by a guy who teaches there and weighs 155.
I turn 36s in the same Kart and I weigh 60lbs more, which is a huge disadvantage in a 100cc sprint kart.

Shifters are kinda going by the wayside, as the 125 and 175 TAGs are just a fast and a single gear.
You can concentrate more on your turn in/apex/track out and less about what gear your in.

You can get into your own package for about 3,500 used and about 5K new, for GOOD TAG stuff.

T, how bout we hit up Moran Raceway next week ?
Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to have to look into this more.

There's an indoor karting facility near me run by one of the Andretti's. I forget which brand of kart they use, but it's a blast. I raced a bunch of folks I work with, and the two twenty five year old, athletic 140-150 pounders just barely beat me. In fact, using the same kart during different sessions, I was only .001 slower than one guy. Couldn't get closer than .15 to the other guy. We were lapping about 27 seconds a lap. I'm definitely going to make those guys carry 80lbs of balast next time. Or I guess I could diet....

The price sounds reasonable for racing. I'll have to see where all they run near Atlanta.

Thanks again.