08-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
interesting perspective! i can definitely see how someone could get used to it. Do you drive it in manual mode? or in automatic?

in my A3, i have a DSG and i'm 99% of the time in manual mode....unless i'm in heavy traffic where i pop it into D. Otherwise i like to be in control of the gears. In the ZF 8 speed, i got confused in manual mode as there are just so many gears to choose from! ha. i have to say that it's not as smooth in manual mode as any good dual clutch gearbox, but it does feel efficient and pretty decent for a torque converted system i have to say.

the ZF gearbox is being used in all sorts of 'enthusiastic' applications....from the new Jaguar F-Type to the Audi S6/S7 to the F30 BMWs, M135i, etc...
Yea, I drive mine in manual most of the time.. I like to be in control of the gears too like you said... I usually take a nice canyon road to work in the morning so its easy to have a little fun with it.. I dont really feel that its any less smooth than the A3 as far as shifting gears goes... but it could just be cuz im so used to it now.. I also have fallen in love with the rear wheel drive.. I always had front wheel drive with my VW/Audis (Beetle, Beetle Conv, TT & A3), and I liked it because they are def easy to control in bad weather.. but man, making the rear of the F30 slide out coming out of a corner is so much fun! I dont miss my A3 one bit! All in all Im happy with this car... My only wish is that it was just a bit smaller (but thats just personal preference) and that they hadnt gone back to the steel chassis on these F30s..

2012 328i F30/ Window Tint, M-Performance Kidney Grilles, Sport Front Trim Pieces with Whiskers, VMR V721s 19x8.5 F/19x9.5 R, (Coilovers Coming Soon!)
Appreciate 0