03-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMoneyPlaya View Post
That's the problem - I couldn't wait for the F10 with AWD to make it to the states. Furthermore, I don't like the styling of the F10 without the M package and am not too crazy about the wheels either. So by the time a proper F10 comes to the US with AWD and an M sport package, it could be two years from now???

Given that I didn't want to settle for the first F10 that came out since it wouldn't be configured exactly to my liking, I bought the S5 off the lot. It's not an exact comparison to the F10 since it's a coupe. But it blows away the handling on my old 540, and the steering is much better too (granted it is a smaller car than the 5 series so you would expect that). The engine is a monster - like a 70's muscle car. And the quad exhaust sounds great. The quattro system is awesome - car sticks to the road like glue when I hit the gas in the rain. My old 540 (2wd) would often lose traction in the rain and the traction control would have to kick in - not to mention the car was undrivable in 1 inch of snow. The electronics are also amazing. The Bang and Olufsen audio system is much better than the systems I've heard in BMW's - I still can't figure out why BMW can offer crap like heads up display, electronic this and that, but still puts crap audio systems in $70K cars??? Audi's 3G MMI is perfect - voice command works great, my Blackberry contacts automatically sync via bluetooth, the 3D NAV is awesome.

Once BMW eventually rolls out a properly configured F10 to the US for me to test drive, then perhaps I might consider it. But like I said, I couldn't wait for another 2yrs to buy a car.
1. I am not a big fan of the M-package on non-M cars. It's overpriced (what BMW option isn't?) and I believe after-market parts can get you better performance at more economical price points.

2. I am sure many have already pointed out, but your tires probably have more to do with traction in snow than AWD. I will concede this point since I rarely drive in snow and am no expert in driving in such conditions.
Appreciate 0