K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Valvetronic Motor Gasket Replacement?

I posted over in general but was redirected to post here for a better chance of relevant response.

I have a 2010 328i X-Drive E91 with 120,000 miles. Tracking down the various leaks and pulled the engine cover. It does appear to be coming from the valvetronic motor so it looks as though that gasket is done.

Online DIYs say that when repairs are performed on the Valvetronic assembly, the limit stops have to be relearned and a BMW scan tool is needed to do this procedure. But it also says that when just removing the motor to replace the gasket you are not changing the mechanical position of any Valvetronic assembly components, so a relearn is not always needed. How often would a relearn be necessary? If the scan tool for a relearn is not necessary, then it is a DIY for me.

Also, once the replacement is done, how will I know whether a relearn is necessary? Will it not start? Will it start but sound/run terribly? Will it start but the engine will explode into a million parts, piercing my body with engine shrapnel (which would be preferable to facing my wife and telling her I need a new engine)?

I've ordered a new gasket and have tracked down a couple of DIY's for this job so I am ready to go, probably this weekend. I do have someone who probably could help me out with a scanner to do the relearn but it would be a while before that could be set up. So, I'm hoping I can do the replacement without the relearn.

K9Leader
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Phyrexia502.50
Noir883.00