United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So for those of you using the Curt Echo brake controller, have any of you had issues with the controller not staying properly connected while driving? I did my first "extended" road test today on the highway with an empty trailer - it was only about 30 miles. All was well for most of the drive, however after going over a few bumps on the highway, I got a brake light fault/error on iDrive. I also received a "trailer disconnected" message on my iPhone from the Curt Echo app. I had seen this before when I did some initial testing. I assumed it was due to some of my trailer lights malfunctioning (they were old with some dead LEDs). I installed new LED tail lights and parking lights on the trailer and all was well with no errors following a successful retest while parked.

Today, before my short trip, I hooked everything up and did all my normal pre-underway checks for the trailer. All lights worked as expected. One thing I don't like about the Curt Echo controller is that the controller does not feel as "solid" when connected to the X7 - there is definitely some wiggle. When I got to my destination, firmly pressing the Curt Echo controller into the socket cleared the errors. So I think my suspicions are correct about the Curt Echo not making a solid connection in the socket.

Anyone else with this issue? I might have to come up with a way to keep the Curt Echo controller more snug in the X7 connector. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something, but I am still thinking about that one...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0