View Single Post
      06-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
syncros
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Brake failure at Mosport International Raceway June 6 & 7 2009

I'm back from a full weekend of track at the Mosport International Raceway and I must say that I'm very impressed by the way the car was handling all weekend long except for the brakes which failed big time in the first session where I started to push the car more (3rd run).

My track car setup is stock suspension with Toyo R888 tires with Carbotech XP12 on OEM rotors.

The brake-in for turn 5 is intense and slows you down from 160km/h to about 80km/h in a short distance as the car has a lot of grip has it climbs up a hill. As I pushed the brake harder on that section, I immediatly felt that my brakes were vibrating at the next braking section (turn 8 at the end of the long back straight). I hit 225Km/h on that straight and as I braked the steering wheel started to shake hard. I had to cope with this all weekend long and on Sunday the car was very tough to control under even light braking.

As I swapped my street wheels on on Sunday pm, you could feel that the brakes where not touching evenly the rotors as I was manually rotating the tires with the car up.

I'm real disapointed as everyone said to change the pads and the oil (which i did for Motul 600).

The vibration is so hard that I don't believe the issue is related to wrong pad material deposit on the rotors. The rotors seems warped. I haven't removed the backing plate but I will next time to help cool the brakes which don't any cooling ducts.

Anyone had similar problems with their rotors / brakes ? Lucid?

Thanks for your help, Vince
Appreciate 0