View Single Post
      11-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw x7

iphone mirroring to BMW is not supported.

The BMW screen mirroring is using the Miracast protocol which isn't supported by iPhone/iOS. Apple prefers it's proprietary AirPlay protocol instead.

If you want to mirror your iphone to BMW, you'll have to go through roundabout ways like SLF80 . It's definitely doable but you'll have to get a separate device that supports Miracast, etc. There are no apps you can download on the iphone to achieve this either.

One super cheap alternative ... there are plenty of android devices today that are dirt cheap. Get a used one.

1. Set up your iphone as a hotspot
2. Connect that android device's wifi to your iphone
3. Connect your android device to your BMW via Screen Mirroring (Miracast)
4. Start playing whatever you want from your android device

Which should let you...

A. iPhone -- stream data (like Netflix) --> Android -- screen mirroring --> BMW
B. Android -- play some downloaded content --> BMW

I just tried it out in my X7 and it works. I used a Galaxy S10+ as the device to connect to the BMW. I did have to download a separate app (Miracast by Tree Team) since S10+ doesn't seem to have a setting i can use... at least I wasn't able to find it.

I should note that it's not exactly eloquent and i'm sure there are things one can do to optimize it. There was a lag from the S10+ to BMW so I wouldn't use it to play games or anything that requires immediate feedback. I played a few videos and it rendered fine on BMW and no audio lag was noticed in my limited testing. If you look down on the S10+ though, it will look out of sync and that's OK since you're trying to watch on the larger BMW display anyways. YMMV.

And in case someone asks - no, you can't screen mirror while driving unless you put in a code to disable it. There are separate threads in bimmerpost and on the internet on how to do that.

Hope this screen shot comes through ... i'm using my iphone to snap the mirroring that's done from the S10+

Last edited by 2020bmwx7; 11-14-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0